Monday 15 August 2011

Durham City Open Mic 10/8/11 – The Seven Impressions

1 – Crossing Framwellgate Bridge at around 9.45 in the evening, I see Durham Cathedral silhouetted by a full moon behind the western towers. Storm clouds scud past at speed adding to the Goth vibe. Was that Nosferatu gliding through the graveyard ?

2 – Enter The Market Tavern to the full-on strumming of a visitor from Croxdale. He does a great version of ‘Blaydon Races’ later in the evening. Proceeding to the bar, I see that Adnams Broadside is on. I consume in volume.

3 – Chatting in the back room with Nick G and Fishburn Mafia to a backdrop of public disorder scenes on BBC News 24. Nick gets up to play and turns in a killer version of Half Man Half Biscuit's ‘Trumpton Riots’.

4 – My turn and I stumble towards the stage. Have difficulty remembering the lyrics to my first tune. I get up to speed and finish my set with a robust version of ‘This Wheel’s On Fire’, pitched somewhere in between the Julie Driscoll and Siouxsie & The Banshees versions.

5 – Alan surprises me with two obscure classics: The Byrds’ ‘5D’ and The Hollies’ ‘King Midas In Reverse’. Pretty psychedelic or what ?

6 – On stage with Crème Brulee, we deliver a scorching ‘I Fought The Law’. After four days of rioting, our audience expects nothing less !

7 – Wake up next day with banging headache.